Pages

Monday, May 17, 2021

My Flipped Classroom Experience - Vocabulary Video

 Hello again everyone,
    
    Today, I will be talking about my flipped classroom experience. Before I begin explaining the concept and the process I have to say that this has been the most novel project I have worked on by far. The reason why I place great value on this task especially is that it is highly effective and much more student-friendly and I'm saying this because I tested it on my little sister. After my friend Cansu and I finished the video, I showed it to my sister, who is in 6th grade. She immediately showed improvement in her spelling (I value the speaking ability a lot, hence why I was very pleased) and when I asked her if she liked the concept her reply was positive. I hope that one day I will be able to try this method on my students also.
    
    The flipped classroom method reverses the activities made inside the class and outside the class. The teacher prepares the lecture prior to class time. The students watch the lecture material, multiple times if they believe they should, and come to class knowing most, if not everything about the topic and they spend the class time improving their understanding by completing tasks individually or in groups. The best aspect of this method has to be that it gives so much freedom to the student. It mostly eliminates the difference factor that the students have. For example, if the student prefers to study at night they can do so freely and they can rewatch the lecture multiple times. In other words, if the student isn't an attentive listener they can rewatch the part they didn't understand the first time until they understand. Of course, this also puts a great deal of responsibility on the students. Some students may not watch the lectures but there are a few possible ways to prevent this. One way is that preparing the activities to be finished within the classroom in such ways that they can only be finished after reviewing and understanding the material and the lecture.
    
    As for the flipped classroom video we've prepared, it's a vocabulary video about breakfast items. We used a website called Animaker. It was fairly easy to prepare the animations and the voices - we didn't have to add the voices separately, which was nice. We also used Photoshop, as we always do while making these projects, to crop/edit some images (like the sausages and olives for example). It took us around 3 days from start to finish the whole video and, now that we know how to do what I expect we can do it in less than a day (an a half to be safe :]).
    
    Overall, the flipped classroom method has greatly changed my view on how teaching can be accomplished remotely - should I face a second pandemic after becoming a teacher, I know how to continue teaching, but this method can also be used in regular teaching too. Not only will it be a novel and interesting experience for the students, but it will also be much more productive for them.

    That's all from me today, take care!

Edit: I forgot to add the video. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

  Well... This is awkward.      I had actually intended my last post to be my... well, last post but I just learn that my last post is suppo...